Sponsored by UCLA Department of English
Co-sponsored by Cal State LA Department of English, USC Writing Program, Occidental College, D-phi, and CMRS Center for Early Global Studies at UCLA
The 119th Annual PAMLA Conference
The PAMLA 2022 Conference will be held in Los Angeles, California at the UCLA Luskin Conference Center and Hotel, from Friday morning, November 11 to Sunday night, November 13, 2022.
The 2022 PAMLA Conference is being held entirely in-person. We won’t be having any virtual or hybrid sessions or papers.
PAMLA, founded as the Philological Association of the Pacific Coast in 1899, and the western affiliate of the Modern Language Association, is dedicated to the advancement and diffusion of knowledge of ancient and modern languages, literatures, and cultures.
We are now in the Last Call: Extended Deadline Period. You can still submit a paper proposal to approximately 60 sessions still seeking submissions at our CFP page. Propose right away, as we will close our submission system soon (after August 15).
Note: Our guest rooms at the Luskin are selling quickly, and may run out soon! If they are sold out, please keep checking back (when people cancel, the rooms will return to our block of available rooms) and also email Craig Svonkin: email@example.com. Craig is looking for more rooms and/or a block of rooms close to the Luskin.
The closest airport to UCLA is LAX.
Alternative ground transportation to/from LAX?
In addition to traditional car services, taxis, and ride-share options, you may consider these alternatives:
- The most economical way to get to/from LAX is with Culver CityBus Line 6 or, when applicable, the faster Line 6 ‘Rapid.’ This works best if you’re going to the airport with no more than a small, lightweight carry-on bag or suitcase as there is no storage for luggage on board.
- Shuttle2LAX partners with major transportation companies to sell seats on shared ride shuttles that would otherwise be empty, saving passengers up to 80 percent off typical taxi fare. You will be on a shuttle with up to 9 passengers and make between one and four stops on the way to or from the airport.
Information about the UCLA Luskin Hotel & Conference Center’s COVID and Mask Policy can be found here.
PAMLA 2022 Conference Theme
PAMLA 2022’s Conference Theme is “Geographies of the Fantastic and the Quotidian,” specifically framing Los Angeles as a metropolis that offers fertile ground for scholarly excavation, both because of its “out of this world” realms of the fantastic and the bizarre as well as its rich and diversely lived and experienced environments of the everyday.
But PAMLA, like Los Angeles, is an expansive network of free flowing ideas and expressive sensibilities, open to panels and papers that connect to the special conference theme, and open to panels and papers that do not. More information about the conference theme is available here.
You can submit your paper proposal to many sessions still seeking submissions at our CFP page.
PAMLA 2022 Dates & Deadlines
- Last Call Extended Proposal Period: Now until August 15, 2022 (or when sessions fill; 60+ sessions still open to submissions)
- PAMLA membership payment due for all accepted conference participants: July 1, 2022 (if you haven’t taken care of your membership, please do so right away! Membership payments may not be reimbursed)
- Regular conference payment period: June 1, 2022 – August 31, 2022
- Late payment period: September 1, 2022 – October 15, 2022
- After October 16, those who haven’t paid their conference fees will be removed from the conference program
- Conference cancellations may not receive full reimbursements after October 1, 2022.
Join PAMLA Today
PAMLA could use your support! Please join PAMLA for the 2022 year, so as to receive our terrific journal, Pacific Coast Philology, and also, if you have a few extra dollars, please make a donation to support PAMLA during these difficult times. Go here to join or rejoin PAMLA (and, if you can, please make a donation to the PAMLA General Fund–we could use your help!).